|Biography of Dr. Raj Jain||Download Detailed CV Short Bio|
Raj Jain is Barbara J. and Jerome R. Cox, Jr., Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at Washington University in St. Louis. Previously, he was the CTO and one of the Cofounders of Nayna Networks, Inc - a next-generation telecommunications systems company in San Jose, CA. He was a Senior Consulting Engineer at Digital Equipment Corporation in Littleton, Mass and then a professor of Computer and Information Sciences at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.
Dr. Jain is a Life Fellow of IEEE, a Fellow of ACM, a Fellow of AAAS, and a Fellow of Academy of Science St. Louis. He is a recipient of 2018 James B. Eads Award from Academy of Science, Saint Louis, 2017 ACM SIGCOMM Lifetime Achievement Award, 2015 A. A. Michelson Award from Computer Measurement Group, 2014 Distinguished Alumnus Award from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore Alumni Association, 2006 ACM SIGCOMM Test of Time award, and Center for Development of Advanced Computing - Advanced Computing and Communications Society (CDAC-ACCS) Foundation Award 2009, and WiMAX Forum Individual Contribution Award 2008.
He is the author or editor of 12 books including `` Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis,'' which won the 1991 ``Best-Advanced How-to Book, Systems'' award from Computer Press Association and " High-Performance TCP/IP: Concepts, Issues, and Solutions," published by Prentice Hall in November 2003. He is a co-editor of " Quality of Service Architectures for Wireless Networks: Performance Metrics and Management," published in April 2010.
Prof. Jain has 14 patents and has written 18 book chapters, 90+ journal and magazine papers, and 130+ conference papers. His papers have been widely referenced and he is known for his research on congestion control and avoidance, traffic modeling, performance analysis, and error analysis. Google Scholar lists over 33,000+ citations to his publications. He is a co-inventor of the DECbit scheme, which has been implemented in various forms in DECnet, OSI, Frame Relay, and ATM Networks. His team has developed several switch algorithms for explicit rate-based congestion avoidance in ATM networks.
A distinguishing factor of his research is its relevance to the Industry. As a faculty member, Dr. Jain actively participates in industry forums like WiMAX Forum, IEEE Standards group, ATM Forum, and Internet Engineering Task Force and has made over 200 contributions that ensured that his research was implemented and not just published as papers. He is acknowledged in published versions of 230+ IEEE standards. Based on his active participation in the computer industry, Dr. Jain was awarded the 1999 siliconindia Leadership Awards for Excellence and Promise in Business and Technology.
Raj Jain serves on the advisory board of Astra.and School of Computing and Information Sciences at Caritas Institute of Higher Education, Hong Kong. In the past, he has served on the advisory board of Bluesage Communications, Inc. (2013-2018), InBay Technology Solutions, Inc, San Jose, CA (2012-2015), AKS University, Satna, MP, India (2012-2015), Indo-US Collaboration in Engineering Education (IUCEE) (2013-2015), DOCOMO Innovations, Inc., San Jose, CA (2011), and a dozen other Silicon Valley startups including Nexabit Networks, Westborough, MA acquired by Lucent Corporation. (March 1997-1999), Amber Networks, Fremont, CA acquired by Nokia (1999-2001).
He was a keynote speaker at 50+ conferences including CoCoNet19, ICNC 2019, SSIC 2019, ISC2-2018, NetSoft 2018, HPSR 2018, AFECT 2017, ACM SIGCOMM 2017, CITS2017,CCISP 2016, CIC 2016, IEMCON 2016, ADCOM 2016, SSC 2016, ADCOM15, WowMoM14, ICC 2012, COMSNETS 2011, NetArch 2009, ICON 2008, ACM Multimedia 2008, AccessNets 2007. He has served in the program committees of over 285+ conferences.
He is on the Editorial Boards of Journal of High Speed Networks (USA), Mobile Networks and Applications, International Journal of Virtual Technology and Multimedia (IJVTM) (UK), International Journal of Wireless and Optical Communications (IJWOC), Vehicular Communications (Elsevier), International Journal of Communication Networks and Distributed Systems (IJCNDS), Mobile Communications and Applications, International Journal on Advances in Internet Technology, and on the advisory boards of Global Science and Technology Forum (GSTF), Singapore, Journal of Communications (Finland), EIA Transactions on TSim Tools, Asia-pacific Journal of Neural Networks and its Applications (AJNNIA), Open Computer Science. He is also a co-guest editor of ACM/Springer Mobile Networks and Applications (MONET) special issue on Device-to-Device Communication in 5G Networks to be published in 2017.
He has served as a Distinguished Lecturer for the IEEE Communications Society (1997, 1999-2006), ACM Lecturer (1991-97), IEEE Computer Society Distinguished Visitor (1993-96), Vice-Chair of ACM SIGCOMM (1991-95), Chair of TIA/SCD/CIS Working Group on ATM Traffic Management (1996-1998), Editor of the WiMAX Forum System Evaluation Methodology (2005-2008), Editor of ATM Forum Performance Testing Specification (1996-1998).
* May 2016-Present, Barbara J. and Jerome H. Cox, Jr. Professor, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
* August 2005-May 2016, Professor, Washington University, St. Louis, MO
* April 2000-July 2007, Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer, Nayna Networks, Inc., Milpitas, CA
* September 2002-June 2003 and November 2003-Present, Adjunct Professor, Ohio State Univ., Columbus, OH
* April 1994 -August 2002, Professor, Ohio State Univ., Columbus, OH
* May 1978- March 1994, Senior Consulting Engineer, Digital Equipment Corp., Littleton, MA
* January 1987-June 1987, Honorary Lecturer, Massachusetts Inst. of Technology, Cambridge, MA
* January 1985-June 1985, Honorary Lecturer, Massachusetts. Inst. of Technology, Cambridge, MA
* September 1983-June 1984, Visiting Scholar, Massachusetts. Inst. of Technology, Cambridge, MA
* Ph. D. (Applied Math/Comp. Sci), Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. Thesis published as distinguished dissertations in Computer Science. 1978
* M. E. (Comp. Sc. _& Controls), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 1974
* B. E. (Electrical. Engineering), A. P. S. University, Rewa, India, 1972
The following is a selection from 12 books, 18 book chapters, 80+ journal and magazine papers, 130+ conference papers, and 14 patents. The citation counts are from Google Scholar.
1. Xin Li, Chengcheng Guo, Lav Gupta, and Raj Jain, "Efficient and Secure 5G Core Network Slice Provisioning Based on VIKOR Approach," IEEE Access, 15 October 2019
2. Lav Gupta, Tara Salman, Maede Zolanvari, Aiman Erbad, Raj Jain, "Fault And Performance Management In Multi-Cloud Virtual Network Services Using AI: A Tutorial And A Case Study," Computer Networks, Oct 2019
3. Xin Li, Chengcheng Guo, Jun Xu, Lav Gupta and Raj Jain, "Towards Efficiently Provisioning 5G Core Network Slice Based on Resource and Topology Attributes," Applied Sciences, September 2019
4. Maede Zolanvari, Marcio A. Teixeira, Lav Gupta, Khaled Khan, Raj Jain, "Machine Learning Based Network Vulnerability Analysis of Industrial Internet of Things," IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol. 6, Issue 4, Aug 2019
5. Tara Salman, Maede Zolanvari, Aiman Erbad, Raj Jain, and Mohammed Samaka, "Security Services Using Blockchains:A State of the Art Survey" IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, First Quarter 2019, Volume 21, Issue 1, 858-880 pp.
6. Marcio Andrey Teixeira, Tara Salman, Maede Zolanvari, Raj Jain, Nader Meskin, and Mohammed Samaka, "SCADA System Testbed for Cybersecurity Research Using Machine Learning Approach," Future Internet 2018, 10(8), 76
7. Deval Bhamare, Aiman Erbad, Raj Jain, Maede Zolanvari, Mohammed Samaka, "Efficient Virtual Network Function Placement Strategies for Cloud Radio Access Networks," Computer Communications, Volume 127, May 2018, pp. 50-60
8. Denise S. Ponchak, Fred L. Templin, Greg Sheffield, Pedro Taboso, Raj Jain, "Advancing the Standards for Unmanned Air System Communications, Navigation, and Surveillance," IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, Montana, Mar 2-9, 2019
9. Tara Salman, Raj Jain, and Lav Gupta, "Probabilistic Blockchains: A Blockchain Paradigm for Collaborative Decision-Making," 9th IEEE Annual Ubiquitous Computing, Electronics & Mobile Communication Conference (UEMCON 2018), New York, NY, November 8-10, 2018, 9 pp.
10. Maede Zolanvari, Marcio A. Teixeira, Raj Jain, "Effect of Imbalanced Datasets on Security of Industrial IoT Using Machine Learning," 2018 IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI), Miami FL, Nov. 9 - 11, 2018, 6 pp.
11. D. Ponchak, F. Templin, R. Jain, G. Sheffield, and P. Taboso, "UAS CNS Architectures for Uncontrolled Airspace," 2018 Integrated Communications, Navigation, Surveillance Conference (ICNS), Herndon, VA, April 2018, pp. 1-35
12. Tara Salman, Deval Bhamare, Aiman Erbad, Raj Jain, Mohammed Samaka, "Machine Learning for Anomaly Detection and Categorization in Multi-cloud Environments," The 4th IEEE International Conference on Cyber Security and Cloud Computing (IEEE CSCloud 2017), New York, June 26-28, 2017
13. Deval Bhamare, Mohammed Samaka, Aiman Erbad, Raj Jain, Lav Gupta, H. Anthony Chan, "Multi-Objective Scheduling of Micro-Services for Optimal Service Function Chains," International Conference on Communications (ICC 2017), May 21-25, 2017
14. Deval Bhamare, Mohammed Samaka, Aiman Erbad, Raj Jain, Lav Gupta, H. Anthony Chan, "Optimal Virtual Network Function Placement and Resource Allocation in Multi-Cloud Service Function Chaining Architecture," Computer Communications, Vol. 102, April 2017, pp. 1-16 [80+ Citations]
15. Lav Gupta, Mohammed Samaka, Raj Jain, Aiman Erbad, Deval Bhamare, Chris Metz, "COLAP: A Predictive Framework for Service Function Chain Placement in a Multi-cloud Environment," The 7th IEEE Annual Computing and Communication Workshop and Conference (CCWC), Las Vegas, Jan 9-11, 2017
16. Xin Li, Mohammed Samaka, H. Anthony Chan, Deval Bhamare, Lav Gupta, Chengcheng Guo, and Raj Jain, "Network Slicing for 5G: Challenges and Opportunities," IEEE Internet Computing, Vol. 21, Issue 5, September 18, 2017, pp. 20-27 [60+ Citaitons]
17. Deval Bhamare, Tara Salman, Mohammed Samaka, Aiman Erbad, Raj Jain, "Feasibility of Supervised Machine Learning for Cloud Security," 3rd International Conference on Information Science and Security (ICISS2016), December 19th - 22nd, 2016, Pattaya, Thailand
18. Deval Bhamare, Raj Jain, Mohammed Samaka, Aiman Erbad, "A Survey on Service Function Chaining," Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Vol. 75, Nov. 2016, pp. 138-155 [90+ Citations]
19. Lav Gupta, Raj Jain, H. Anthony Chan, "Mobile Edge Computing - an important ingredient of 5G Networks," IEEE Softwarization Newsletter, March 2016
20. Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, Tam Vu, Abusayeed Saifullah, Mo Sha, "An Internet of Things Framework for Smart Energy in Buildings: Designs, Prototype, and Experiments," Internet of Things Journal, Vol. PP, Issue 99, 16 Mar 2015 [190+ Citations]
21. Lav Gupta, Raj Jain, and Gabor Vaszkun, "Survey of Important Issues in UAV Communication Networks," IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, Volume PP, Issue 99, November 3, 2015, pp. 1123-1152 [720+ Citations]
22. Deval Bhamare, Raj Jain, Mohammed Samaka, Gabor Vaszkun, Aiman Erbad, "Multi-Cloud Distribution of Virtual Functions and Dynamic Service Deployment: OpenADN Perspective," 2015 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E), Tempe, AZ, March 9-13, 2015, pp. 299-304
23. Raj Jain and Subharthi Paul, "Network Virtualization and Software Defined Networking for Cloud Computing - A Survey," IEEE Communications Magazine, Nov 2013, pp. 24-31 [570+ Citations]
24. Subharthi Paul, Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, "Architectures for the Future Networks and the Next Generation Internet: A Survey," Computer Communications, UK, Volume 34, Issue 1, 15 January 2011, pp. 2-42 [290+ Citations]
25. Jianli Pan, Subharthi Paul, and Raj Jain, "A Survey of Research on Future Internet Architectures,"IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 7, July 2011, pp. 26-36 [440+ citations]
26. Chakchai So-In, Raj Jain, and Abdel-Karim Al Tamimi, "Capacity Evaluation for IEEE 802.16e Mobile WiMAX," Journal of Computer Systems, Networks, and Communications (JCSNC), Special issue on WiMAX, LTE, and WiFi Interworking, Vol. 1, No. 1, April 2010 [120+ Citations]
27. M. Hassan and Raj Jain, "High-Performance TCP/IP Networking," Prentice Hall, November 2003, [310+ citations]
28. Raj Jain, "The Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis: Techniques for Experimental Design, Measurement, Simulation, and Modeling," Wiley- Interscience, New York, NY, April 1991 [7260+ citations]
29. K. Ramakrishnan and Raj Jain, "A Binary Feedback Scheme for Congestion Avoidance in Computer Networks with Connectionless Network Layer," ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, Vol. 8, No. 2, May 1990, pp. 158-181 [500+ citations]
30. D. Chiu and Raj Jain, "Analysis of the Increase/Decrease Algorithms for Congestion Avoidance in Computer Networks," Journal of Computer Networks and ISDN, Vol. 17, No. 1, June 1989, pp. 1-14, [2520+ citations]
31. Raj Jain and S. Routhier, "Packet Trains-Measurements and a New Model for Computer Network Traffic," IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. SAC-4, No. 6, September 1986, pp. 986-995. Reprinted in Amit Bhargava, Ed., Integrated Broadband Networks, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1990, [780+ citations]
32. Raj Jain, D. Chiu, and W. Hawe, "A Quantitative Measure Of Fairness And Discrimination For Resource Allocation In Shared Computer Systems," DEC Research Report TR-301, September 1984 [4480+ citations]
Contact: Department of CSE, Campus Box 1045, Washington University in Saint Louis, One Brookings Dr., Saint Louis, MO 63130 USA, Phone: +1 314-935-4963, Fax: +1 314-935-7302, Email: Jain@wustl.edu, URL: http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~jain/index.html Detailed CV: http://www.cse.wustl.edu/~jain/cv_jain.htm