Engineering And Scientific Computing, CSE 200
End of semester confirmed TA hours:
TA's and hours are:
- December 6, Thursday 2:30-3:30. (Rouhollah)
- Friday, Dec. 7, 2-4, (Kate Achien)
- Wed, Dec. 12, 2-3, (Dustin, in CEC)
- Wed, Dec. 12, 3-5, (Nathaniel in CEC)
- Friday, Dec. 14, 2-3, (Kate Achien)
- Saturday, Dec. 15, 4-5, (Robert Pless)
The far right column is your current grade, if you
don't complete any other assignments.
- Dustin Griesemer, dustin.griesemer (.) sbcglobal.net, Wednesday
2-3, CEC Lab, room 208
- Nathaniel Roman, ngr1 (.) cec.wustl.edu, Monday 1:30-2:30, CEC
labs, Lopata, room 401 (up the ramp from CEC).
- Kate Achtien, kha1 (.) cec.wustl.edu, Friday 2:00-3:00, Whitaker
130, and sunday 2-4 *if requested by e-mail by friday*
Topics addressed include interpolation, integration, linear
systems, least-squares fitting, nonlinear equations and optimization
and initial value problems. Basic procedural programming concepts
(procedural and data abstraction, iteration, recursion)
- Lab 0. Introduction to matlab.
- Lecture 1. Notes,
- Lab 1. Lab 1.
- Lecture 2. Lecture 2 matlab file (includes
homework and reading) - Decomposing problems, defining functions,
logical operations in matlab and some more syntax. Homework 1
- Lab 2. Lab 2, Diffusion.
- Lecture 3. Notes If-Then, For Loops, Linear
Regression. CHECKPOINT QUIZ on Chapters 2.1-2.5). Read Chapter 4 of Magrab (or Gilat, Chapter 7)
- Lab 3 (part 1). Lab 3, Regression.
- Lecture 4. Notes + Homework While Loops, Linear Fitting and Plotting (Read
Chapter 5.1-5.5, Magrab, or Gilat, 8.1, 8.2). Functions that use other functions.
- Lab 4. Lab 4, Polynomial fitting.
- Lecture 5. Notes Taylor Series and Time
Varying Functions. CHECKPOINT QUIZ
- Lab 5. Lab 5, Intro to Physical
Simulation (Flight and Gravity).
- Lecture 6. Lecture Notes Finding Zeros, Newton's Method, and
stopping conditions. CHECKPOINT QUIZ
- Lab 6. Lab 6, Intro to Physical
Simulation II (Solution to the Wave Equation).
- Lecture 7. Notes Numerical Integration.
(10.1-10.3, Gilat). Differential Equations and Difference Equations (Gilat, 10.4). CHECKPOINT QUIZ
- Homework 3 Problems
- Lab 7. Functions as Arguments to
Functions, Strategies for the game of NIM.
- Lecture 8. Recursion, Towers of
Hanoi. CHECKPOINT QUIZ
- Lab 8. Springs and Strings.
- Lecture 9. Boundary Value Problems. CHECKPOINT QUIZ
- Lab 9. Validation of Physical Simulations/
Fitting non-linear functions in matlab.
- Lecture 10. Second order ODE's. CHECKPOINT QUIZ
- Lab 10. Pendulae
- Lecture 11. Monte Carlo Simulations CHECKPOINT QUIZ
- Lab 11. Damped, Driven Pendulae
- Lecture 12. Brief introduction to C. CHECKPOINT QUIZ
- Lab 12. Lab 12, Monte Carlo Integration
- Lecture 13. Memory, Pointers and Arrays. CHECKPOINT QUIZ
Grades will be determined by approximately:
Getting started in matlab:
in the cec labs, you can run matlab from Start, Engineering, matlab
Accessing matlab from elsewhere:
from other windows machines, you can use "Remote Desktop Connection"
- You can find this in: start menu/ programs/ accessories/
communications/ remote desktop connection.
- In the window, type: "mirage.cec.wustl.edu"
- Remote Desktop Connection may then ask you for your username and
password before showing you the login window for your cec account. If
so, just use your cec account logon ID and password.