Recent Advances in Networking: Network Virtualization and Software Defined Networking for Cloud Computing
This class lecture covers the following topics:
- Recent Developments
- Virtualization Definition
- 5 Reasons to Virtualize
- Cloud Computing
- Smart Phones and Mobile Apps
- Software Defined Networking
- SDN Everywhere
Ethernet in Data Center
- Why Virtualize a Network?
- Levels of Network Virtualization
- Network Virtualization Techniques
- Names, IDs, Locators
- Interconnection Devices
- Fallacies Taught in Networking Classes
- Residential vs. Data Center Ethernet
- Spanning Tree and its Enhancements
- Shortest Path Bridging
- Virtual Bridging
- Virtual Edge Bridge
- Virtual Ethernet Port Aggregator (VEPA)
- Combining Bridges
- Fabric Extenders
- Virtual Bridge Port Extension (VBE)
Software Defined Networking (SDN)
- Planes of Networking
- Separation of Control and Data Plane
- Centralization of Control Plane
- Networking and Religion
- OpenFlow V1.0
- Flow Table Example
Network Function Virtualization (NFV)
- SDN 1.0: SDN Based on OpenFlow
- What is SDN?
- ONF Definition of SDN
- What do We need SDN for?
- SDN 2.0: OpenDaylight Style SDN
- Open Everything
- Current SDN Debate: What vs. How?
- How to SDN?
- Separation vs. Centralization
- Network Function Virtualization (NFV)
- Mobile Network Functions
- NFV Proof of Concepts (PoCs)
- Service-Infrastructure Separation
- What can NFV do?
- Service Chaining
Internet of Things
- Google Trends: Cloud Computing
- Any Function Virtualization (FV)
- Enterprise App Market: Lower CapEx
- Trend: Multi-Clouds
- Multi-Cloud Problem
- Services in a Cloud of Clouds
- AppFabric Features
- What are Things?
- Internet of Things
- Sample IoT Applications
- What's Smart?
- 4 Levels of Smartness
- Why IoT Now?
- Google Trends
- Funding for IoT
- Business Opportunities
- Venture Activities in IoT
- Recent IoT Products
- IoT Research Challenges
- Internet of Harmful Things
- Internet of Brains
- Ant-Sized IoT Passive Radios
- Last 100m Protocols
- Recent Protocols for IoT
- "IEEE 1905.1-2013 Convergent Digital Home..."
- Legacy IoT Protocols
Presentation slides in Adobe Acrobat Format:
View Slides+Audio (
Right Click and save to download Slides+Audio (
Frequently asked questions about remote audio/video viewing
Back to other lectures of the series
Complete List of Audio/Video Lectures by Raj Jain
Back to Raj Jain's Home Page