The Catch-up Game: Quest for the Impact
Prof. Raj Jain's keynote at ACM SIGCOMM 2017, Los Angeles, CA, August 22, 2017.
This talk is about numerous technologies I worked on over the last 39 years beginning with the first generation of 10 Mbps Ethernet. Several technologies are no longer around and some are. History is written by the winners and so the technologies that succeed are the one's that count. What makes some technologies succeed and others fail? How to ensure that your research is adopted by the industry? Some of the current trends, including micro clouds, edge computing, multi clouds, IoT, security, and blockchains will then be discussed.
This talk covers the following topics:
- Let's Make Networking Great Again
- Networking = Plumbing
- Networking is Fueling All Sectors of Economy
- Smart Everything
- What's Smart?
- Am I in the Right Field to Impact?
- 2. Will the technology I am working on succeed or fail?
- Networking: Failures vs Successes
- Requirements for Technology Success
- Old House vs. New House
- Impact Question 2: Will My Technology Succeed?
- 3. Our Research on Congestion Control (37 years ago)
- Our Congestion Research
- The Shower Experiment
- Fairness Index
- Reasons for Impact
- 4. What is required to make an impact?
- 1. Select the Right Research Problem
- Adapt to Paradigm Shifts
- Gartner's Hype Cycle for Emerging Tech 2017
- 2. Bring it to Completion
- 3. Every Person is a Company
- 4. Don't Be Let Down by a Failure
- Academics: Challenges
- Entrepreneurs vs. Academics: Issues
- 5. Recent Research Topics
- Multi-Cloud Computing
- Trend: Micro-Cloud Computing
- Trend: Mobile Edge Computing
- Trend: Micro-Services
- Multi-Cloud Hierarchy
- Trend: Software Defined Multi-Cloud
- OpenADN Multi-Cloud Management
- Mobile Healthcare Use Case
- A 7-Layer Model of IoT
- A 7-Layer Model of Smart Cities
- Areas of Research for IoT/Smart Cities
- Attack Surface
- Internet of Harmful Things
- DEFCON 2017
- IoT and Security
- Centralized to Decentralized
- Examples of Centralized Systems
- Networking Applications of Blockchains
Presentation slides in Adobe Acrobat Format:
| 4 slides/page
Right click and save to download
Frequently asked questions about remote audio/video viewing
Back to other lectures of the series
Complete List of Audio/Video Lectures by Raj Jain
Back to Raj Jain's Home Page