Raj Jain, "Trends and Issues in Softwarization of Networks: What's In, What's Out,"
Invited talk at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Nov. 8, 2018.
We begin with developments that led to virtualization, network function virtualization, and disaggregation. How software-defined networking definition has changed due to disaggregation. The trend of DevOps and the slowness of the standardization activities has led the networking industry towards open source software and hardware. Open sourcing has now become the fastest way to introduce new research, idea, concept or technology. All these trends and their impact on networking research along several related myths and issues will be discussed in this talk.
This talk covers the following topics:
- Selecting the Right Problems
- Gartner Hype Cycle 2018
- Trend 1: SDN to Disaggregation
- Disaggregation: Black Box to White Box
- White Box Switches
- Trend 2: Separation of Control to Orchestration of Policies
- Trend 3: Clouds to Micro-Clouds
- Trend 4: Core to Edge Computing
- Trend 5: Services to Micro-Services
- Trend 6: Orchestration of Switches to Orchestration of Multi-Cloud
- Network Function Virtualization (NFV)
- Problems with Virtual Machines
- Trend 7: Virtualization to Containerization
- Kata Containers
- Standards are Slow
- Standards are not Open
- Trend 8: Standards to Open Source SW
- Trend: Centralized to Distributed
- Examples of Centralized Systems
- Networking Applications of Blockchains
- Blockchain Challenges
- Smart Everything
- Whats Smart?
- Machine Learning Challenges
- Trend 11: Managed to Self-Driven Networks
- Intent-Based Policy Management
- Related Papers
- Related Talks/Class Lectures
Presentation slides in Adobe Acrobat Format:
Right click and save to download
Frequently asked questions about remote audio/video viewing
Note: Sound quality is not the optimal for this particular recording.
Back to other lectures of the series
Complete List of Audio/Video Lectures by Raj Jain
Back to Raj Jain's Home Page