Ph.D., Assistant Professor
Office: 326 Express Scripts Hall (ESH)
Phone: (314) 516-5843
Research Profile: Google Scholar Profile
I am currently an assistant professor in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at the University of Missouri - St. Louis. I obtained my Ph.D. degree from the Department of Computer Science and Engineering of Washington University in Saint Louis. My Ph.D. advisor was Prof. Raj Jain . Previously, I also got a M.S. in Computer Engineering from Washington University in Saint Louis and M.S. in Information Engineering from Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT), China. Before that, I received my B.E. from Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications (NUPT).
Spring 2015: CMP SCI 4730: Computer Networks and Communications. Office hours: TBD. Tuesday and Thursday. Classroom: 204 SSB.
Fall 2014: CMP SCI 5130: Advanced Data Structure and Algorithms. Office hours: 7:00PM-8:20PM. Monday and Wednesday, Classroom: 326 ESH.
I am broadly interested in: (1) next generation Internet architecture, mobile and cloud computing, network function virtualization (NFV), software defined networking (SDN); (2) cyber security, including architecture-level security, cloud computing, NFV and SDN security; (3) network systems for energy efficiency in smart buildings and Smart Grids; and (4) network designs for "Big Data" applications.
Next Generation Internet Architecture and Cloud Computing Related Technologies. One of my research goals has been the design of a next generation Internet architecture addressing multiple challenges, including inter-domain routing scalability, mobility, multihoming, and traffic engineering. This research involves new design principles and multiple innovations in naming and addressing, inter-domain routing, handling mobility and multihoming, control and data separation, and fluent transition with appropriate deployment incentives. The popularity of the Cloud Computing , Network Function Virtualization (NFV), and Software Defined Networking (SDN) technologies also affects and interacts with the architectural evolution, and may change its research landscape. I am very interested in investigating these interactions in the context of future Internet architecture. Particularly, building upon my previous research experience and contributions, I am interested in (1) how technologies such as NFV and SDN can facilitate architectural evolution and (2) what the future Internet architecture will look like and how it will balance the interests of multiple stakeholders, including customers, Internet Service Providers (ISPs), and Application Service Providers (ASPs).
Architecture-level Cyber Security and Cloud Computing Security. The original Internet architecture assumed by-default a trust relationship among communication parties, an assumption now rendered invalid by the commercialization of the Internet. Security was also not an intrinsic part of the architecture, so we now need novel architecture-level security designs treating security as a first-class design element. I am interested in making full use of my research strength and expertise in architecture-level trust-based network security design , and in conducting extensive security research for the future Internet architecture. I am interested in developing and enhancing our previous policy-oriented network architecture in the new contexts and in investigating novel ideas for making the new Internet architecture more secure. Also, I am very interested in researching architecture-level security methods and tools for Cloud Computing and SDN platforms such as OpenStack , Open Floodlight , and Open vSwitch .
Network Systems for Energy Efficiency in Buildings and Smart Grids.. My recent work has been motivated by the latest trends in inter-disciplinary synergy among three areas: networking and Internet technologies, smart grids, and energy. The goal is to promote global scale energy efficiency by improved intelligence in enterprise/home buildings assisted by networking and Internet technologies. Possible innovation points lie in (1) developing cyber-physical systems network architecture for enterprise/home buildings; (2) creating " multi-scale energy proportionality " and enabling energy optimization for multi-scale organizations, similar to the way that "energy proportional computers" are created; (3) exploring the capabilities of computing and networking technologies such as mobile smart phones and cloud computing to reduce energy consumption in buildings and consumer-side power grids, and promote broad awareness and participation from the general public for global sustainability; and (4) Cyber-physical systems and Internet of Things (IoT) synergetic research.
Network Architecture and Designs for "Big Data" Applications . As the potential of Big Data becomes increasingly clear, ensuring that the network is prepared to scale to these emerging demands will be a critical step in guaranteeing long-term success. SDN, offering a well-defined programmatic interface, high customizability, scalability, and agility, has huge potential to design the intelligent adaptive network for Big Data analytics. Building upon my previous research experience with SDN and NFV, I plan to continue my research on new SDN oriented network protocols, including OpenFlow and OpenStack, and to study related approaches to make network management easier, more intelligent, and automated.
• Future Internet Architecture and related issues (projects funding sources including Intel, NSF, HP, and Cisco):
1. We investigated and drew a complete picture on the latest progress in the research of Next Generation Internet.
2. We presented our architectureidea using Identifier/Locator Split to achieve features like Mobility, Multi-homing, and Security.
3. Policy structure, service architecture, naming and addressing, scalability, etc also are parts of our research topics.
• WUSTL I-CARES (International Center for Advanced Renewable Energy and Sustainability) project on Green Building and Energy Efficiency:
1. We investigated the Green Building testbed in Brauer Hall, a LEED-gold certified green building with multiple national awards.
2. We systematically evaluated the logged energy data in the buildings through modeling and analysis.
3. We summarized a series of our findings and presented several key ideas to address the challenges.
4. More experimentations are under-way to promote energy-efficiency and global sustainability.
Journals (including submitted ):
• Jianli Pan, Ravi Ravindra, Asit Chakraborti, et al., "Secure and Automated Application Delivery in NFV/SDN based Future Internet,” submitted to IEEE Network, Special issue on Network Function Virtualization, 2014.
• Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, et al., "A Internet of Things Framework for Smart Energy in Buildings: Designs, Prototype, and Experiments," submitted to IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2014.
• Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, "A Survey of Energy Efficiency in Buildings and Microgrids using Networking Technologies," IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, Special issue on Energy and Smart Grid, Vol.16, Issue 3, pp 1709-1731, 2014.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Jianli Pan , et al, "Application Delivery in Cloud and Multi-Cloud Environments using Software Defined Networking," Computer Networks (Elsevier), 2014.
• Jianli Pan , Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, "Enhanced Evaluation of the Inter-domain Routing System for Balanced Routing Scalability and New Internet Architecture Deployment," IEEE Systems Journal, September, 2013.
• Jianli Pan , Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, "A Survey of Research on Future Internet Architectures," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 7, July 2011, pp. 26-36.
• Jianli Pan , Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, and Chakchai So-In, "MILSA: A New Evolutionary Architecture for Scalability, Mobility, and Multihoming in the Future Internet," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), Special issue on Routing Scalability, Vol. 28, Issue 8, pp 1344-1362, October 2010.
• Chakchai So-In, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, and Jianli Pan , "Virtualization Architecture using the ID/Locator Split Concept for Future Wireless Networks (FWNs)," Computer Networks (Elsevier), Special Issue on Wireless for the Future Internet, Vol. 55, Issue 2, pp. 415-430, February 2011.
• Subharthi Paul, Jianli Pan , and Raj Jain, "Architectures for the Future Networks and the Next Generation Internet: A Survey," Computer Communications, UK, Volume 34, Issue 1, Pages 2-42, 15 January 2011.
• Chakchai So-In, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul and Jianli Pan , "Virtual ID: ID/Locator Split in a Mobile IP Environment for Mobility, Multihoming and Location Privacy for the Next Generation Wireless Networks," International Journal of Internet Protocol Technology 2010 - Vol. 5, No.3, pp. 142-153.
• Peyman TalebiFard, Ravi Ravindran, Asit Chakraborti, Jianli Pan, et al, “An Information Centric Networking Approach Towards Contextualized Edge Service,” to appear in 2015 IEEE 12th Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC), Las Vegas, NV, January 9-12, 2015.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Jianli Pan, et al, "OpenADN: A Case for Open Application Delivery Networking," in the Proceedings of IEEE ICCCN 2013, Nassau, Bahamas, July 30-August 2, 2013.
• Jianli Pan , Raj Jain, Pratim Biswas, et al., “Toward an Energy-Proportional Building Prospect: Evaluation and Analysis of the Energy Consumption in a Green Building Testbed,” in the Proceedings of IEEE Energytech 2013, Cleveland, OH, May 21-23, 2013.
• Jianli Pan , Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, “Nine Lessons Learned From a Green Building Testbed: a Networking and Energy Efficiency Perspective,” in Proceedings of IEEE World Congress on Sustainable Technologies (WCST-2013), December 9-12, 2013, London, UK .
• Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, "A Novel Incremental-Deployable Multi-granularity Multihoming Framework for the Future Internet," in the Proceedings of IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) 2012, Anaheim, CA, December 3-7, 2012.
• Jianli Pan , Raj Jain, Pratim Biswas, et al., “A Framework for Smart Location-Based Automated Energy Controls in a Green Building Testbed,” in the Proceedings of IEEE EnergyTech 2012, Cleveland, OH, May 29-31, 2012.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Jianli Pan , "A Future Internet Architecture Based on De-conflated Identities," in the Proceedings of IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) 2010, Miami, FL, December 6-10, 2010.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Jianli Pan , "Multi-Tier Diversified Architecture for the Next Generation Internet," in the Proceedings of International Conference on Cloud Computing and Virtualization (CCV) 2010, Singapore, May 17-18, 2010.
• Chakchai So-In, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, and Jianli Pan , " Virtual ID: A Technique for Mobility, Multi-Homing, and Location Privacy in Next Generation Wireless Networks ," in the Proceedings of the Second IEEE International Workshop on Mobile IPv6 and Network-based Localized Mobility Management (MobiWorld), CCNC 2010, January 2010.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, and Jianli Pan , “An Identifier/Locator Split Architecture for Exploring Path Diversity through Site Multi-homing - A Hybrid Host-Network Cooperative Approach,“ in the Proceedings of IEEE International Conference in Communications (ICC) 2010, Cape Town, South Africa, 23-27 May, 2010.
• Jianli Pan , Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, “Hybrid Transition Mechanism for MILSA Architecture for the Next Generation Internet,” in the Proceedings of IEEE Globecom Workshop on Future Internet (FutureNet II) 2009, Honolulu, Hawaii, 30 November - 4 December 2009.
• Jianli Pan , Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, Mic Bowman, Xiaohu Xu, Shanzhi Chen, “Enhanced MILSA Architecture for Naming, Addressing, Routing and Security Issues in the Next Generation Internet,” in the Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2009, Dresden, Germany, 14 June - 18 June 2009.
• Jianli Pan , Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Mic Bowman, “MILSA: A Mobility and Multihoming Supporting Identifier Locator Split Architecture for Naming in the Next Generation Internet,” in the Proceedings of IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) 2008, New Orleans, LA, USA, 30 November - 4 December 2008.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Jianli Pan, Mic Bowman, “ A Vision of the Next Generation Internet: A Policy Oriented Perspective ,” Proceedings of British Computer Society (BCS) International Conference on Visions of Computer Science, Imperial College, London, September 22-24, 2008.
• Chakchai So-In, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, and Jianli Pan , "A Policy Oriented Multi-Interface Selection Framework for Mobile IPv6 Using the ID/Locator Split Concepts in the Next Generation Wireless Networks," Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computer and Automation Engineering (ICCAE 2010), Singapore, February 26 - 28.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Jianli Pan , Chakchai So-in, "Multi-Tier Diversified Service Architecture for Internet 3.0: The Next Generation Internet," WUSTL CSE Technical Report No. WUCSE-2010-31, June 23, 2010.
• Subharthi Paul, Jianli Pan , and Raj Jain, "Architectures for the Future Networks and the Next Generation Internet: A Survey," WUSTL Technical Report, WUCSE-2009-69, October 2, 2009, 59 pp.
• Wanjing Wang, Shanzhi Chen, and Jianli Pan , “A new method for multi-homing and multi-interface address selecting based on Mobile IPv6” , 2007 International Conference on Broadband Network & Multimedia Technology (IC-BNMT), Beijing, China, September, 2007.
• Jianli Pan, Shanzhi Chen, “A Mobile IPv6 firewall traversal scheme integrating with AAA”, In Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE WiCOM (WiCOM'06), Wuhan, China, September, 2006.
• Jianli Pan, Yun Hu, Yixian Yang, “Classification and research on the architecture of the Distributed Intrusion Detection System (DDoS)”(in Chinese), In Proceedings of the 1st National Natural Science Foundation Conference on Network and Information Security Research, Beijing, 2003.
• Jianli Pan, Tao Yu , Shanzhi Chen, “Method and apparatus for the firewall traversal problem in Mobile environment”, Docket Number CN200610001438.7, filed in January 2006, authorized in August 2009.
• “Nine Lessons Learned From a Green Building Testbed: a Networking and Energy Efficiency Perspective,” IEEE World Congress on Sustainable Technologies (WCST-2013), December 9-12, 2013, London, UK .
• "A Novel Incremental-Deployable Multi-granularity Multihoming Framework for the Future Internet ," IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) 2012, Anaheim, CA, December 3-7, 2012 .
• "Creating an Energy-Proportional Building Prospect," IEEE Energytech 2012, Cleveland, OH, May 29-31, 2012.
• "Communication and Modeling for Green Buildings," ICARES Annual Research Conference, Washington University in Saint Louis, March 24, 2012.
• "Routing Scalability: Problem, Evaluation, and Solutions," Doctoral Student Seminar (DSS) talk, October, 2010.
• "MILSA: A New Architecture for the Next Generation Internet," Doctoral Student Seminar (DSS) talk, March, 2009.
• "MILSA: A Mobility and Multihoming Supporting Identifier Locator Split Architecture for Naming in the Next Generation Internet ," IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), New Orleans, LA, USA, 30 November - 4 December 2008.
External Research Consultant:
Invited to be an "overseas research consultant" for the year 2013 project on "Least Hop Number Content Distribution", working with five 5 prestigious senior members of the National Academy of Science/Engineering (Youping Li, Daguang Yu, Jiashu Song, Shigang Chen, and Jiangxing Wu), China.
Reviewer of Journals:
ACM/IEEE Transactions on Netowrking (TON), 2014
IEEE Transactions on Smart Grids, 2012.
IEEE Communication Magazine, 2012, 2013.
IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 2013.
IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 2012.
IEEE Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, 2012.
IEEE Communication Letters, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in BioMedicine (TITB), 2008.
Journal of Computer Networks (COMNET), Elsevier, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
Oxford The Computer Journal, Oxford Press, U.K., 2011, 2013.
Journal of Applied Energy, Elsevier, 2013.
Journal of Security and Communication Networks, Wiley, 2012.
Journal of China Communications, 2013.
Journal of Network and Computer Applications (JNCA), Elsevier, 2011.
International Information Institute (SCIE), Special Issue on "Ubiquitous Information Technology for Enhanced Mobile Systems" 2011.
ICTACT Journal on Communication Technology, 2010.
Journal of Internet Technology, special issue on "Multimedia Services and Security over Internet", Taiwan, 2010.
Reviewer of Conferences:
IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (Infocom), 2014
IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), Network Algorithm & Performance Evaluation Symposium, 2013.
IEEE International Conference in Communications (ICC) , Wireless Networking Symposium , 2013.
IEEE International Conference on Computer Communication Networks (ICCCN), 2009, 2011.
IEEE Conference on High Performance Switching and Routing (HPSR), 2012.
The Energy in Communication, Information, and Cyber-physical Systems 2012 (E6 Workshop), 2012.
IEEE Globecom Workshop on Future Internet (FutureNet III), 2010.
IEEE International Conference on Information Science and Applications (ICISA), 2010.
IEEE Globecom Workshop on Future Internet (FutureNet II), 2009.
IEEE The 17 th International Conference on Software, Telecommunications and Computer Networks (Softcom), 2009.
IEEE The 20 th IEEE International Symposium On Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications ( PIMRC ), 2009.
IEEE First International Conference on Future Information Networks (ICFIN), 2009.
IEEE The17 th International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communication (Adcom), 2009.
IEEE The 6 th IEEE and IFIP International Conference on Wireless and Optical Communications Network (WOCN), 2009.
IEEE and IFIP 2nd International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security (NTMS), 2008.
Research Resources and Links:
Next Generation Internet:
• GENI / FIND / FIA
• IRTF Routing Research Group Wiki
Named Data Networking Project.
MobilityFirst Future Internet Architecture Project
eXpressive Internet Architecture Project .
• European Future Internet Portal
• EC website on the Future Internet
The Network of the Future Projects of EU FP7.
• Future Internet Assembly
• FIRE: Future Internet Research and Experimentation.
AKARI Architecture Design Project
University of Utah, the Emulab Project,
University ofWisconsin. TheWisconsin Advanced Internet Laboratory
XORP: eXtensible Open Router Platform
• Princeton: PlanetLab
• Stanford Clean-Slate Design Project
• US-Japan workshop
• Jon Turner's web page
• UCLA: Lixia Zhang's group
• Resource Collection List
• Continental Automated Building Association (CABA)
• United States Department of Energy (DOE)
• U. S. Green Building Council,
• USGBC Research Committee, “A National Green Building Research Agenda,” November, 2007.
• USGBC Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)
• IETF Energy Management (EMAN) Group
• United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
• Energy Star
• EnergyPlus Energy Simulation Software, U.S. Department of Energy
• European Commission Smart Cities and Communities Initiatives
• Green Building Initiative (GBI)
• Washington University Green Cup Initiative,
• Washington University Green Lab Initiative,
• Washington University Sustainability Office,
• International Initiative for a Sustainable Built Environment (iiSBE)
• Net Zero Energy Building Certificate by "Living Building Challenge"
• Oregon Sustainability Center
• Microgrid Hub, Galvin Electricity Initiative, 2012
• Nest Learning Thermostat
• North American Intelligent Building Roadmap, by Continental Automated Building Association (CABA)
• SB Methods and SB Tools
• Cisco EnergyWise Technology
• Cisco “Smart Connected Buildings” Program
• Cisco “Smart+Connected Communities” Program
•"Going Green in Your Home"
Tennis, Fishing, Baseball.
Last updated October 9th, 2014.