Office: Jolley Hall, Room 509
I am broadly interested in next generation Internet architecture, general networking technologies, and inter-disciplinary topics related to energy efficiency, microgrid optimization, and global sustainability assisted by networking and Internet technologies.
Next Generation Internet and related issues. One of my research goals has been the design of a next generation Internet architect addressing multiple challenges including routing scalability, mobility, multihoming, renumbering, and traffic engineering of the current Internet. This work includes research involving new design principles and multiple innovations in naming and addressing, inter-domain routing and forwarding, handling mobility and multihoming, control and data separation, and fluent transition with appropriate deployment incentives.
Cyber-assisted Energy Efficiency. My recent work has been motivated by the latest trends of inter-disciplinary synergy among three areas: networking and Internet technologies, smart grid, and energy. The goal is to promote global scale energy efficiency by improved intelligence in buildings and consumer-side microgrid assisted by networking and Internet technologies. I have also investigated the innovations in creating "energy proportional buildings" similar as energy proportional computers to create larger-scale energy efficiency platforms, enabling energy optimization in multiple scales, and more advanced interaction between energy consumers and the power grid other than simple demand response.
Cyber-assisted Sustainability. I am also very interested in investigating and exploring computing and networking technologies aimed to advance the interdisciplinary research of the science and engineering of sustainability in larger scale. Our latest findings show that the latest trends such as mobile smart phone and cloud computing in the Internet have huge potentials in involving broad awareness and participations for the sustainability efforts. My thesis research has identified such needs and I am interested in applying our research results and expertise into the exciting interdisciplinary areas which potentially has huge broad impacts.
• Future Internet Architecture and related issues (projects funding sources including Intel, NSF, and Cisco):
1. We investigated and drew a complete picture on the latest progress in the research of Next Generation Internet.
2. We presented our architectureidea using Identifier/Locator Split to achieve features like Mobility, Multi-homing, and Security.
3. Policy structure, service architecture, naming and addressing, scalability, etc also are parts of our research topics.
• WUSTL I-CARES (International Center for Advanced Renewable Energy and Sustainability) project on Green Building and Energy Efficiency:
1. We investigated the Green Building testbed in Brauer Hall, a LEED-gold certified green building with multiple national awards.
2. We systematically evaluated the logged energy data in the buildings through modeling and analysis.
3. We summarized a series of our findings and presented several key ideas to address the challenges.
4. More experimentations are under-way to promote energy-efficiency and global sustainability.
In Revision, Submitted or in Submission :
• Jianli Pan , Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, " Enhanced Evaluation of the Inter-domain Routing System for Balanced Routing Scalability and New Internet Architecture Deployment ," minor revision, IEEE System Journal, 2013.
• Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, " A Survey of Energy Efficiency in Buildings and Microgrids using Networking Technologies ," submitted to IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, special issue on Energy and Smart Grid, April, 2013.
• Jianli Pan , Raj Jain, Pratim Biswas, et al., “Ten Lessons Learned From a Green Building Testbed: an Energy Efficiency Perspective,” to be submitted to IEEE Power & Energy Magazine, 2013.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Jianli Pan , et al, "Application Delivery in Cloud and Multi-Cloud Environments using Software Defined Networking," submitted to Sigcomm Workshop of HotSDN, 2013.
Published or Accepted:
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Jianli Pan, et al, "OpenADN: A Case for Open Application Delivery Networking," accepted by IEEE ICCCN 2013, Nassau, Bahamas, July 30-August 2, 2013.
• Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Pratim Biswas, et al., “Toward an Energy-Proportional Building Prospect: Evaluation and Analysis of the Energy Consumption in a Green Building Testbed,” accepted by IEEE EnergyTech 2013, Cleveland, OH, May 21-23, 2013.
• Jianli Pan, Shan Zhi Chen, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, "Energy Sensing and Monitoring Framework with an Integrated Communication Backbone in the Energy Efficient Intelligent Buildings ," Applied Mechanics and Materials (Volumes 303 - 306), pp. 1460-1464, DOI 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.303-306.1460, February, 2013,
• Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, "A Novel Incremental-Deployable Multi-granularity Multihoming Framework for the Future Internet," in the Proceedings of IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) 2012, Anaheim, CA, December 3-7, 2012.
• Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Pratim Biswas, et al., “A Framework for Smart Location-Based Automated Energy Controls in a Green Building Testbed,” in the Proceedings of IEEE EnergyTech 2012, Cleveland, OH, May 29-31, 2012.
• Chakchai So-In, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, and Jianli Pan, "Future Wireless Networks: Key Issues and a Survey (ID/Locator Split Perspective)," International Journal of Communication Networks and Distributed Systems (IJCNDS), January 2012, Vol.8, No. 1/2, pp. 24-52.
• Subharthi Paul, Jianli Pan, and Raj Jain, “Architectures for the Future Networks and the Next Generation Internet: A Survey,” Computer Communications, UK, Volume 34, Issue 1, Pages 2-42, 15 January 2011.
• Chakchai So-In, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, and Jianli Pan, "Virtualization Architecture using the ID/Locator Split Concept for Future Wireless Networks (FWNs)," Computer Networks, Special Issue on Wireless for the Future Internet, Vol. 55, Issue 2, pp. 415-430, February 2011.
• Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, "A Survey of Research on Future Internet Architectures," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 7, July 2011, pp. 26-36.
• Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, and Chakchai So-In, “MILSA: A New Evolutionary Architecture for Scalability, Mobility, and Multihoming in the Future Internet,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC), Special issue on Routing Scalability, Vol. 28, Issue 8, pp 1344-1362, October 2010.
• Chakchai So-In, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul and Jianli Pan, "Virtual ID: ID/Locator Split in a Mobile IP Environment for Mobility, Multihoming and Location Privacy for the Next Generation Wireless Networks," International Journal of Internet Protocol Technology 2010 - Vol. 5, No.3, pp. 142-153.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Jianli Pan, "A Future Internet Architecture Based on De-conflated Identities," Proceedings of IEEE Globecom 2010, Miami, FL, December 6-10, 2010.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Jianli Pan, "Multi-Tier Diversified Architecture for the Next Generation Internet," Proceedings of International Conference on Cloud Computing and Virtualization (CCV 2010), Singapore, May 17-18, 2010.
• Chakchai So-In, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, and Jianli Pan, "Virtual ID: A Technique for Mobility, Multi-Homing, and Location Privacy in Next Generation Wireless Networks," to appear in the Second IEEE International Workshop on Mobile IPv6 and Network-based Localized Mobility Management (MobiWorld), CCNC 2010, January 2010.
• Jianli Pan, Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, “Hybrid Transition Mechanism for MILSA Architecture for the Next Generation Internet,” in IEEE Globecom Workshop on Future Internet (FutureNet II) 2009, Honolulu, Hawaii, 30 November - 4 December 2009.
• Jianli Pan, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, Mic Bowman, Xiaohu Xu, Shanzhi Chen, “Enhanced MILSA Architecture for Naming, Addressing, Routing and Security Issues in the Next Generation Internet,” in the Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2009, Dresden, Germany, 14 June - 18 June 2009.
• Jianli Pan, Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Mic Bowman, “MILSA: A Mobility and Multihoming Supporting Identifier Locator Split Architecture for Naming in the Next Generation Internet,” in the Proceedings of IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) 2008, New Orleans, LA, USA, 30 November - 4 December 2008.
• Chakchai So-In, Raj Jain, Subharthi Paul, and Jianli Pan, "A Policy Oriented Multi-Interface Selection Framework for Mobile IPv6 Using the ID/Locator Split Concepts in the Next Generation Wireless Networks," Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computer and Automation Engineering (ICCAE 2010), Singapore, February 26 - 28.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, and Jianli Pan, “An Identifier/Locator Split Architecture for Exploring Path Diversity through Site Multi-homing - A Hybrid Host-Network Cooperative Approach,“ in the Proceedings of IEEE International Conference in Communications (ICC) 2010, Cape Town, South Africa, 23-27 May, 2010.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Jianli Pan, Chakchai So-in, "Multi-Tier Diversified Service Architecture for Internet 3.0: The Next Generation Internet," WUSTL CSE Technical Report No. WUCSE-2010-31, June 23, 2010,
• Subharthi Paul, Jianli Pan, and Raj Jain, "Architectures for the Future Networks and the Next Generation Internet: A Survey," WUSTL Technical Report, WUCSE-2009-69, October 2, 2009, 59 pp.
• Subharthi Paul, Raj Jain, Jianli Pan, Mic Bowman, “A Vision of the Next Generation Internet: A Policy Oriented Perspective,” Proceedings of British Computer Society (BCS) International Conference on Visions of Computer Science, Imperial College, London, September 22-24, 2008.
• Wanjing Wang, Shanzhi Chen, and Jianli Pan, “A new method for multi-homing and multi-interface address selecting based on Mobile IPv6” , 2007 International Conference on Broadband Network & Multimedia Technology (IC-BNMT), Beijing, China, September, 2007.
• Jianli Pan, Shanzhi Chen, “A Mobile IPv6 firewall traversal scheme integrating with AAA”, In Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE WiCOM (WiCOM'06), Wuhan, China, September, 2006.
• Jianli Pan, Yun Hu, Yixian Yang, “Classification and research on the architecture of the Distributed Intrusion Detection System”(in Chinese), In Proceedings of the 1st National Natural Science Foundation Conference on Network and Information Security Research, Beijing, 2003.
• Jianli Pan, Tao Yu , Shanzhi Chen, “Method and apparatus for the firewall traversal problem in Mobile environment”, Docket Number CN200610001438.7, filed in January 2006, authorized in August 2009.
• "A Novel Incremental-Deployable Multi-granularity Multihoming Framework for the Future Internet ," IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM) 2012, Anaheim, CA, December 3-7, 2012 .
• "Creating an Energy-Proportional Building Prospect," IEEE Energytech 2012, Cleveland, OH, May 29-31, 2012.
• "Communication and Modeling for Green Buildings," ICARES Annual Research Conference, Washington University in Saint Louis, March 24, 2012.
• "Routing Scalability: Problem, Evaluation, and Solutions," Doctoral Student Seminar (DSS) talk, October, 2010.
• "MILSA: A New Architecture for the Next Generation Internet," Doctoral Student Seminar (DSS) talk, March, 2009.
• "MILSA: A Mobility and Multihoming Supporting Identifier Locator Split Architecture for Naming in the Next Generation Internet ," IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), New Orleans, LA, USA, 30 November - 4 December 2008.
External Research Consultant:
Invited to be an "overseas research consultant" for the year 2013 project on "Least Hop Number Content Distribution", working with five 5 prestigious senior members of the National Academy of Science/Engineering (Youping Li, Daguang Yu, Jiashu Song, Shigang Chen, and Jiangxing Wu), China.
Reviewer of Journals:
IEEE Transaction on Smart Grids, 2012.
IEEE Communication Magazine, 2012.
IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, 2012.
IEEE Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies, 2012.
IEEE Communication Letters, 2010, 2011, 2012.
IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in BioMedicine (TITB), 2008.
Journal of Computer Networks (COMNET), Elsevier, 2010, 2011, 2012.
Journal of Security and Communication Networks , Wiley, 2012.
Journal of Network and Computer Applications (JNCA), Elsevier, 2011.
Oxford The Computer Journal, Oxford Press, U.K., 2011.
International Information Institute (SCIE), Special Issue on "Ubiquitous Information Technology for Enhanced Mobile Systems" 2011.
ICTACT Journal on Communication Technology, 2010.
Journal of Internet Technology, special issue on "Multimedia Services and Security over Internet", Taiwan, 2010.
Reviewer of Conferences:
IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), Network Algorithm & Performance Evaluation Symposium, 2013.
IEEE International Conference in Communications (ICC) , Wireless Networking Symposium , 2013.
IEEE International Conference on Computer Communication Networks (ICCCN), 2009, 2011.
IEEE Conference on High Performance Switching and Routing (HPSR), 2012.
The Energy in Communication, Information, and Cyber-physical Systems 2012 (E6 Workshop), 2012.
IEEE Globecom Workshop on Future Internet (FutureNet III), 2010.
IEEE International Conference on Information Science and Applications (ICISA), 2010.
IEEE Globecom Workshop on Future Internet (FutureNet II), 2009.
IEEE The 17 th International Conference on Software, Telecommunications and Computer Networks (Softcom), 2009.
IEEE The 20 th IEEE International Symposium On Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications ( PIMRC ), 2009.
IEEE First International Conference on Future Information Networks (ICFIN), 2009.
IEEE The17 th International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communication (Adcom), 2009.
IEEE The 6 th IEEE and IFIP International Conference on Wireless and Optical Communications Network (WOCN), 2009.
IEEE and IFIP 2nd International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security (NTMS), 2008.
Research Resources and Links:
Next Generation Internet:
• GENI / FIND / FIA
• IRTF Routing Research Group Wiki
Named Data Networking Project.
MobilityFirst Future Internet Architecture Project
eXpressive Internet Architecture Project .
• European Future Internet Portal
• EC website on the Future Internet
The Network of the Future Projects of EU FP7.
• Future Internet Assembly
• FIRE: Future Internet Research and Experimentation.
AKARI Architecture Design Project
University of Utah, the Emulab Project,
University ofWisconsin. TheWisconsin Advanced Internet Laboratory
XORP: eXtensible Open Router Platform
• Princeton: PlanetLab
• Stanford Clean-Slate Design Project
• US-Japan workshop
• Jon Turner's web page
• UCLA: Lixia Zhang's group
• Resource Collection List
• Continental Automated Building Association (CABA)
• United States Department of Energy (DOE)
• U. S. Green Building Council,
• USGBC Research Committee, “A National Green Building Research Agenda,” November, 2007.
• USGBC Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)
• IETF Energy Management (EMAN) Group
• United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
• Energy Star
• EnergyPlus Energy Simulation Software, U.S. Department of Energy
• European Commission Smart Cities and Communities Initiatives
• Green Building Initiative (GBI)
• Washington University Green Cup Initiative,
• Washington University Green Lab Initiative,
• Washington University Sustainability Office,
• International Initiative for a Sustainable Built Environment (iiSBE)
• Net Zero Energy Building Certificate by "Living Building Challenge"
• Oregon Sustainability Center
• Microgrid Hub, Galvin Electricity Initiative, 2012
• Nest Learning Thermostat
• North American Intelligent Building Roadmap, by Continental Automated Building Association (CABA)
• SB Methods and SB Tools
• Cisco EnergyWise Technology
• Cisco “Smart Connected Buildings” Program
• Cisco “Smart+Connected Communities” Program
Tennis and Fishing.
Last updated April. 3rd, 2013.