LAN Switching, Virtual LANs, LAN Traffic Classes References
Note: A periodically updated version of this list is kept on-line at
Hot Topics in Networking References
Raj Jain's Home Page
IETF Working Groups
Books on LAN Switching, Virtual LANs, and LAN Traffic Classes
LAN Switching: References
- "LAN Switching,"
- M. Hein, D. Griffiths and Orna Berry, "Switching Technology in the Local Network," Thompson Computer Press, February 1997.
- R. Breyer and S. Riley, "Switched and Fast Ethernet," ZD Press, 1995.
- LAN Switches Buyer's Guide, Network World, June 3, 1996, pp. 41-49.
- Comparing LAN Switch Contenders, Network World, July 1, 1996, pp. 39-42.
- Ethernet Switching: An Anixter Technology White Paper, http://www.anixter.com/techlib/whiteppr/network/anixeswp.htm
- Christensen, K. J., "Local Area Networks-evolving from shared to switched access," IBM Systems Journal v34 n3 (`95) p347-74.
- Edwin Meir, "Buyer's Guide: LAN switches take it all on," Network World, June'96.
- Kevin Tolly, "Comparing LAN switch contenders: Beyond Performance," Network World, Jul'97,
- Edwin Mier, "Some guidelines for switching to switches," Network world, September'96.
- Thomas Nolle, "Switching's Dark Side," Network World, February, 97.
- John Morency and Wendy Micheal, "Evaluating the next generation of multilayer switching," Communications Week, Issue 663, May, 1997.
- Edwin E. Mier, Rob Smithers and Tom Scavo, "Hot switches, cool features," Network World, Aug. 1997.
- LAN Backbone Switching: An Anixter Technology/Business White Paper, http://www.anixter.com/techlib/whiteppr/network/m6317100.htm
- Product description: IBM 8272 Nways Token-Ring LAN Switch (Oct 96), http://www.networking.ibm.com/822/822over.html
- Al Chiang, "Parallel paths emerge for fast Ethernet and ATM," Telecommunications (Americas Edition) v30 n3 Mar 1996 p38-39.
- Bob Gohn, "Applications dictate LAN switch architectures," Computer Design v34 (Aug 95) p78.
- David Newman, "LAN switches leave users looking for trouble," Data Communications v24 n3 Mar 1995 4pp.
LAN Switching: RFCs
- RFC 2889, Benchmarking Methodology for LAN Switching Devices. R. Mandeville, J. Perser. August 2000.
- RFC 2816, A Framework for Integrated Services Over Shared and Switched IEEE
- RFC 2285, Benchmarking Terminology for LAN Switching Devices,
- RFC 2114, "Data Link Switching Client Access Protocol", 03/03/1997, 22 pp.,
- RFC 2024, "Definitions of Managed Objects for Data Link Switching using SNMPv2", 10/22/1996, 90 pp.,
- RFC 1944, "Benchmarking Methodology for Network Interconnect Devices", 05/17/1996.,
- RFC 1795, "Data Link Switching: Switch-to-Switch Protocol AIW DLSw RIG: DLSw Closed Pages, DLSw Standard Version 1.0", 04/25/1995, 91 pp.,
- RFC 1434, "Data Link Switching: Switch-to-Switch Protocol", 03/17/1993, 33 pp.,
Virtual LANs: References
- "Virtual Local Area Networks,"
- IEEE 802.1Q Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks, http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/1/vlan.html
- J. Wakerly, "Virtual LANs and Backbone Migration," Networld+Interop, April 1996.
- B. Olsen, "Second Generation Virtual LANs," Networld+InterOp, April 1996.
- Susan Biagi, "Virtual LANs," Network VAR v4 n1 p. 10-12, January 1996.
- David J. Buerger, ``Virtual LAN cost savings will stay virtual until networking's next era,'' Network World, March 1995.
- Cisco VLAN Roadmap,
LAN Traffic Classes: References
- IEEE 802.1D MAC Bridges Working Group, http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/1/mac.html
Back to Raj Jain's Home Page